Blogging for beginners, Step By Step Guide
Introduction on how to start a blog and make money
Blogging for beginners: Starting a blog may sound like a complicated thing to do for beginners. People who have no experience on how to blog may require a little assistance in order to do it better and ensure that they get everything right. It is very true that starting a blog can be very intimidating, but whatever your age you can start one and become successful. Today, the internet has a lot of information on how you can do blogging, however, people still make a lot of mistakes that can hinder their progress. There is need to find the best information, and by best, I mean information that you can easily understand and relate well with.
Learning from someone who has years of experience in blogging is the best you can do when you are just a beginner, and that’s the best thing about this guide. You are going to learn from someone who has years of experience in blogging and this will ensure that you do not commit the mistakes that are often made by beginners. I made the mistakes myself and I learned from them, now I have what it takes to make sure you get the best and avoid the mistakes. Wondering how to start a blog and get paid? Well, you need to learn the basics first.
What is a blog?
Before we get to the complete guide it wise to understand what a blog is. A blog is that type of a website that allows you to share your ideas or expertise, and this is mainly on written content. The written content is what is known as blog post. In order to come up with the best content you need to have some passion about or expertise in it, so that when you share your idea it really is very appealing to your targeted audience and they will always want to get more from you.
Whatever topic you imagine about or simply love and have interest in, you can start a blog about it. In order to be successful about the topic, you must be very sure that you can easily write it from a personal perspective so that the readers can relate well with it. Another way to ensure a direct connection with your targeted audience is to create a “comments” section that allows you to interact with your readers and share ideas among each other. This will build a healthy relationship between you and your readers which translates to trust, thus more visitors to your blog.
What do you need to start blogging?
This is quite a common question, especially from beginners. You will hear out there that for you to be a successful blogger you have to be a great writer, well that is just a misconception. You really don’t need to be highly talented in a particular topic in order to be successful. What you need is passion for the topic that you want to blog about. Passion for your topic will allow you to write content from personal perspective, and that’s actually what your readers want. They don’t care whether or not you are an expert, instead they want something from which they can obtain personal perspective.
The key thing therefore is to have passion for your topic and then provide content in a conversational style. The more you stay in the game the more you learn about it and get very useful tricks that will make you successful in blogging. So get into blogging and let your passion make your content glow with knowledge and expertise. Wondering how to start a blog with no money? Well, you can start a blog on Instagram as its a free social platform.
Why do people get into blogging?
There are various reasons people start blogging. Why do you want to start blogging? This is a good question that you really should ask yourself. It can actually guide you through the whole process. Here are some of the reasons:
- To share your story: A blog allows you to share your story with the world. You can share about your daily experiences or your journey in something. For example, you can share your weight loss journey with the world. These stories can be very inspiring and provide new ideas to other people.
- To make money: You can make money with your blog. If done properly, blogging can make you a lot of money. It can be part of your passive income, where you only write a few days in a week and then get back to other activities.
- To get your business or yourself known: Blogging can be a useful tool which you can use to get recognition for yourself or your business. A blog allows you to share ideas in your field and this can land you great deals.
- To create a community: Blogging is a great way to create a community whereby you create content that allows you to connect with a targeted audience. Your readers comment on your blog and they also have the ability to share their ideas with you. You and your community have the opportunity to learn from each other.
Complete Guide on How to Start Blogging for Beginners & How to Make a Blog
This is what you have been waiting for, it is actually what you really should know. There are various steps that you should follow in order to lay a good foundation for your blog after.
Step #1: How to Start a Blog & Pick Your Niche
This is the very first step. You need to identify what you want to blog about. You may be very sure of what you want to blog about, but others may not be sure. In order to establish a successful blog, you need to identify something that you are really interested in or passionate about. However, you don’t need to be an expert in any topic, and if you are not quite sure about what you should blog about, here’s a small guide on how to select one.
- Look at your life experiences: Your life experiences can make a good topic that you can blog about. We all have our own life experiences, and we know better about them. You will have all the details to share about your experiences in a better and most understandable way than any other person would. Your life experiences can be very inspiring, and the truth is people out there want to be inspired by other peoples’ stories.
- Your passions: What you are very interested in can make a very good topic to blog about. Identify what you love and you will definitely provide content from a personal perspective that people can relate well with.
- You can start a personal blog: A personal blog is that which you blog everything about yourself. You can share your daily experiences, ideas or thoughts. Wondering how to write a blog? Well, you can share all your personal stories for motivation to others in this blog.
Basically there is a lot of things that you can blog about. Just sit down and identify what you would like to share to the world.
Step #2: Select the right blogging platform
Choosing the right blogging platform for your blog is vital for the success of your blog. There is quite a good number of platforms that you can choose from including WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr and many others.
One of the most popular blogging platform is WordPress and contains millions of active users. Its big number of active users definitely confirms that it is a good platform for bloggers and I would recommend it for you. For beginners, WordPress is the perfect blogging platform. Wondering how to start a blog WordPress? Well, its easy as WordPress is one of the most popular CMS around.
Reasons why WordPress is highly recommended
- WordPress is user-friendly
- It is free for everyone
- It is very secure. This is due to the fact that, WordPress keep on updating their software ensuring that it is secure, such that your blog is safe from hacking attacks.
- You can easily customise your blog with WordPress. It offers plenty of customization offers that are designed to improve the functionality of your blog.
Why you should never establish a blog on a free platform
It is very possible for you to create a blog on a free platform. This can be very attractive to beginners, but what people don’t understand is that as free as it is, it can limit the functionality of your blog. Your blog will look “stale” including its address. Your readers don’t want something that looks boring, instead they want something that looks nice. In fact, a free blogging platform can lower the credibility of your blog. You don’t want that, do you?Here are various problems that are associated with free blogging platforms:
- Limited control of your content– you are not fully in control of your blog, therefore, if by any chance you violate their terms your blog could be shut down.
- You cannot customize your blog– you will not be able to use the free plugins to customize your blog to make it look great and outstanding. Your blog looks boring.
- You are barred from advertising on a free blogging platform. Therefore, you can hardly make money from your blogging.
- Small space of only 3 GB. This space is not enough for your written content, images and videos.
- The address of your blog will be very long and of course boring. You don’t have the power to choose a nice address.
Step #3: Choose a Domain Name
A domain name is very important because it has some degree of influence on your readers as well as your rankings on search engines and on your brand. Choosing a domain name should therefore, be done carefully.
You need to identify that which you can easily brand to make it unique and outstanding in the face of competition. Many people make the mistake of choosing a generic domain name that can be easily forgotten and contains a lot of keywords.
Your domain name should also be concise. In fact most of the successful blogs have a very small number of characters in their domain name, averaging at 6 characters only. Along with being concise the domain name should be easy to pronounce.
Step #4: Set up your blog online using your domain name
Now that you have your own domain name, you need to set up your blog online using it. This is a technical process with simple steps to follow.
For you to set up your blog using your domain name you need one very important thing, blog hosting.
Blogging for Beginners: What is blog hosting?
Blog hosting is a service offered by a blog host company to store all your files and delivers your blog to all your visitors. Therefore, for your blog to be easily accessible to users, you need a blog host, if you don’t have one your blog will not be seen and your domain will be of no use.
There are various blog hosting companies out there, some are very good and others are bad. You need to make the right choices in order to identify a hosting service that is best for you. The price of the hosting is something that you should really consider, and many times you get what you pay for. Cheap is not always good, and I have seen people getting attracted to very cheap hosting. These cheap hosts tend to overuse their servers which can lower the speed of your site.
You need those hosts who are able to control their servers properly in order to ensure your site is working at its best.
One of the best hosts is Bluehost which I recommend for beginners. It is quite secure, reliable and easy to manage.
Here are steps you can follow to set up your blog on Bluehost:
- Go to Bluehost.com, and then click on “Get started now”.
- Choose a hosting plan. You can choose the basic plan which is the cheapest. I recommend the basic plan for beginners so that you can save some dimes.
- Type in your domain name in the right box and then click next.
- Complete your registration. Once you have typed your domain name you need to add your account information where you will be required to add your contact and billing information. You choose a basic design template for your blog.
- Log in to your new account and install WordPress Blog. After setting up your hosting with Bluehost you need to install your WordPress blog. Here is what you should do to install WordPress:
- Log in to your Bluehost control panel
- Click on install WordPress
- You will be redirected to the next page where you will be required to choose your required URL.
- Log in to your new blog
Once you are done with the installation, you can now type your new web address and check out your WordPress blog. Click on the admin URL, you will see the welcome page on the panel.
You have now created a blog using WordPress.
Step #5: Customize Your Blog
When logged in to your WordPress blog, you need to start customizing it. I will show you everything you need to do to prepare your blog and publish your first post.
Choose a theme and layout for your blog
WordPress blogging platform offers free themes and layouts which you can use to customize your blog to how you want it to be. There are a lot of WordPress themes that you can use to make your blog look great.
How to find and install a theme that you feel is appealing to you?
When logged in for the first time, go to the dashboard or the admin panel and then click on the “appearance” button. Then click on themes. Here you will find plenty of themes already installed. If those themes are not very appealing to you, you can click on the “Add New” button to search for a theme. Several tabs will appear click on the “Feature Filter” which will help you search for themes in certain color schemes. Select the option of your choice and then click on “Apply Filters” button.
When you have found a theme that is most appealing to you, click on “Install” button. Once it is installed click on “Activate” and you’re done.
Step #6: Adding/Writing and Publishing your First Post
After following all the above steps, you now have a working WordPress blog on your domain name. Now it is time to add your first content. I will show you how to use WordPress to blog.
Add a new post
To add new blog post you need to click on “Posts” and then click on “Add New” on the left hand side menu. This will take you to the post editor screen, where you will be required to enter the title of you post in the narrow box which is at the top, and then start writing your content in the bigger box that is below the narrow box.
After you are done writing your blog, you have options to save it as a draft or publish it by going to the box menu which is on the far right hand side of the page. You can choose to publish the post immediately or schedule to publish it later or even publish it to your friends only by making it private.
Once you have published it, you can see your new post in the “All Posts” section.
How to add images to your blog post
To add an image to your blog post, you need to click on the “Add Media” button, which is above the big box or field, and then click on “Select Files” to upload a picture from your files in the computer. Make the picture size adjustments if you have to and then click on “Insert into Post” button.
Step #7: Promote Your Blog
Once you have created a good blog and added great content, you need to get readers for your blog. You do not want to write amazing content which is not being read by anyone, rather you need to spend some time promoting it. Promoting your blog gives you the opportunity to monetize it.
One of the ways you can use to promote your blog is through your social media accounts. You can do this by posting your blog post links on your accounts. If the content is great, your friends could share the link to others such that your post reaches a wider audience. Social media can make your blog go viral easily.
While you get new readers, you need to ensure that you retain the current ones. In order to do this you can use a great tool like email marketing, whereby you collect the email addresses of your readers, which you can use to alert them whenever you add a new post on your blog. Email marketing allows you to retain your visitors and even make your blog reach more readers. You will also have the opportunity to build a closer relationship with your visitors.
Blogging for Beginners: Make Money Blogging
Blogging for beginners comes with a learning curve for monetizing the blog. When you have high-quality content and you have put in effort to promote your blog you can now start making money from your blog. Proper promotion of your high-quality blog makes it easy for you to make money from it.
One of the ways that you can start making money blogging is through selling your own products or services. You can also get paid to write product reviews and publish them on your blog. The other and the easiest way to make money blogging is to provide advertising space in your blog at a fee. Your blog must be very popular for you to get many advertisers who want to purchase an advertising space in it. In order do it better you can use Google AdSense, which will look for advertisers for you and all you have to do is place the Google AdSense code on your blog to get the ads running.
This guide has provided you with all the information you need to start blogging and be a successful blogger. By following the above steps, you will realize that creating a blog is not an intimidating thing as most people perceive it to be. We all start from somewhere, and believe me if you do all things in the right manner and continue learning while blogging you will become an expert. These are are the steps you must follow when it comes to how to start a blog in 2020 or 2021.